Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ashlee and the Snuggie

On Sunday, Ashlee saw a commercial for a snuggie. What is a snuggie you might be asking? Well, a Snuggie is a blanket with sleeves. "The Snuggie™ keeps you totally warm and gives you the freedom to use your hands. Work the remote, use your laptop or do some reading in total warmth and comfort!" (www.getsnuggie.com)
Ashlee became obsessed with owning one of these blankets with sleeves. I have to admit, I think snuggies are pretty silly--plus, we have a TON of blankets around the house. She has 4 on her bed alone. I told her that she did not need a snuggie and to go curl up with a blanket instead. My daughter is a bit on the persistent side and kept bringing it up and bringing it up. So, I decided that we would make her one instead--she could even help me sew it up. She thought that this was a genius idea (chalk one up for the momma!) and downstairs we trekked to pick out some fabric. Of course, she picked blue flannel (yes, yes i realize that snuggies are fleece, but Ashlee doesn't so no one tell her, ok??). Luckily, I had some blue flannel because Ashlee knew that snuggies came in blue and blue is her favorite color. Phew! It took me two days to make a snuggie, mostly because I don't have a pattern for anything like that so I winged it with a nightgown pattern I had and some very helpful suggestions from my mother. Yay for Mom! I even added a pocket for storing all her favorite items.
I finished it up yesterday and proudly showed it to my daughter today who proceeded to tell me that her snuggie needed to be sewn up the back kind of like a dress.....Sigh.....so i drug back out the sewing machine and tried to fit it to her specifications. Nothing like sewing for a persistent 5 year old LOL I finished it pretty quickly for me, because last night she told me that if she had a snuggie so could hug me before bedtime, but, since she didn't, she couldn't hug me because her arms were just too cold. Little stinker!
So, here is Ashlee and I's version of a snuggie! It looks very much like a hospital gown, but she loves it and that's the important thing. She was even warm enough tonight to give me a hug, silly girl!

4 comments:

Fulkerson Clan said...

hurray for the snuggie! it actually looks much cuter than i imagined, and ashlee looks cute in it too :) good job making it to ashlee's specifications. i wonder, since you were so successful with this endeavor, what she will come up with next to have you do! haha!

Amy said...

What a nut! We have seen ads for it and laughed about it, I can't believe she talked you into making one. Well... yes I can. Score one for the good momma!

Kathleen said...

I checked out your link to see what the official snuggie looked like and it made me laugh! What a goofy looking thing. For some reason, the old man in the recliner wearing a red snuggie makes me think of Satan. Good work creating though. It made me think of my mom inventing some sewing project. I on the other hand have no sewing talent at all.

Anonymous said...

those Snuggie infomercials draw me in like a magnet, though i haven't gotten the point of actually buying one yet