Thursday, May 28, 2009

my love/hate relationship with Utah

Usually in the autumn, I start to feel a little heartsick for Ohio. Utah just doesn't have the vibrancy of fall colours that I grew up with and the trees change so quickly here. Lately though, I've been feeling those pangs of heartsickness again. Maybe it's because I haven't been back in almost 3 years and I'm overdue for a visit. I'm not really sure what it is. I honestly never thought that I would end up living in Utah. In college, I even tried to avoid dating Utahns and Idahoans because I always wanted to move back to Ohio and all those Utahns I met were deadset against ever leaving their beloved state. Then Adam swept me off my feet, married me, we played rock/paper/scissors to decide where to live, Adam won, and so we made Utah our home. Part of me loves it here. The mountains are amazing! I like the contrasts in southern Utah. I really like how the sky is blue all winter--in Ohio the winter is mostly overcast and gloomy. I love how both my family and Adam's family all live so close by. Sometimes I want to scream, "Where is all the green???? What on earth am I doing living in a desert?" Then I look around at all of the things that I love: my family, my friends, the mountains, my green backyard and, I think to myself, "I can be happy anywhere because I have what is most important: my family."

1 comment:

Amy said...

Well said. I miss the green of California, but home is where your heart is.